Sunday, July 16, 2006
Under the Katyushas
Under the Katyushas
By Steven Plaut
I am writing this in between ducking in and out of the bomb shelter as
Haifa is bathed by the Katyusha rockets and other missiles that Ehud Barak
has now fired at the city. Why Ehud Barak? Because as Israeli Prime
Minister in 2000, HE ordered the cowardly unilateral withdrawal of Israeli
troops from the security zone in southern Lebanon, and so HE positioned the
thousands of Hezbollah rockets on Israel's northern border.
It occurred to me that now would be as good a time as any to sum up
everything that has been learned about the Middle East conflict, that is,
everything that the Israeli government and chattering classes refused to
learn for the past two decades.
1. Nice fences do not stop missiles, rockets, and mortars.
2. Complete removal of Israeli forces and Jewish settlers from an area
does not achieve anything, and merely signals Israeli weakness, inviting
escalated terror and aggression from the Arabs.
3. The Hezbollah and the Hamas cannot be defeated with air strikes. There
is no effective alternative to ground invasion and ongoing control of the
4. Unless the Israeli military controls the ground on the OTHER side
of fences, those fences achieve nothing.
5. Goodwill gestures by Israel increase terror.
6. Goodwill gestures by Israel never produce moderation of Arab goals
and demands, but rather produce the opposite.
7. Terror is not caused by settlements, but rather by the *removal* of
8. Terror is not caused by Israeli military occupation, but rather by
the *removal *of Israeli military occupation.
9. It is impossible for there to be two sovereign entities between the
Jordon River and the Mediterranean.
10. No matter how many concessions Israel makes, the world will always
justify Arab terrorism, because there is always one more capitulation that
Israel failed to make (e.g., giving up the "Shebaa Farm" on the Golan
11. No matter how nice Israel is to Israeli Arabs, no matter how many
affirmative action programs it implements, it will always be accused of
being an "apartheid regime".
12. The Israeli Far Left is an openly anti-Semitic movement that
seeks Israel's destruction and automatically endorses the enemies of
Israel in all things.
13. The Israeli Labor Party and its Kadima cousin may be more
effective at fighting terror, once they decide to do so, than the Likud.
The reason is that if the Likud were fighting terror, the Israeli Left
would take to the streets in mass demonstrations against Israeli imperialism
and aggression, and the leftist Israeli media would declare that 400,000
protesters turned out.
14. The *real* enemy of Israel is not Arab fascism but Jewish
15. The world likes to see Jewish civilians murdered by terrorists
and will applaud and justify all such murders as comeuppance for the Jews
for being so insensitive.
16. The Israeli Left will oppose every conceivable act of Israeli
self-defense, other than total capitulation.
17. Israeli niceness and flexibility fan anti-Semitism.
18. Israel-bashing is nothing more than anti-Semitism and
Israel-bashers are increasingly open about their delight at seeing Jewish
19. Israeli pursuit of the "peace process" has triggered a world-wide
storm of anti-Semitism.
20. Terrorists cannot be appeased.
21. Arab terrorists do not morph into statesmen.
22. There are no Palestinian moderates.
23. Israel bashers do not care about dead Arab civilians, other than
as a useful bludgeon with which to delegitimize Israel.
24. The Western Left would celebrate if Israeli Jews were shipped off
to concentration camps in cattle cars, and would demand improved rail
25. The vast majority of Israeli Arabs want to see Israel destroyed
and the Jews thrown into the sea.
26. There are hundreds of Jewish professors in Israel who serve as an
academic Fifth Column that will do anything to collaborate with the enemies
of their country.
27. The Arabs will not accept an independent Israel in ANY set of
borders, no matter how small. Hence one achieves nothing by reducing
Israel's territory, other than to signal weakness and destructibility.
28. Much of the Western media believes that there are no problems on
earth that could not be greatly improved by destroying Israel.
29. Most of the governments of Europe do not believe Jews should be
treated with respect, and certainly do not think Jews should ever be allowed
to defend themselves.
30. The only country on earth that is expected to respond to mass
murder of its civilians through turning of the other cheek is Israel.
The only country on earth that spent many years trying to defeat
aggression and terrorism by turning the other cheek is Israel.
31. No matter how Israel responds to aggression and terrorism, it
will always be a "disproportionate" response.
32. Those who claim that anti-Zionism is different and distinct from
anti-Semitism are anti-Semites.
33. The only people on earth whom the Left believes should be denied
the right to self-determination and self-defense are the Jews.
34. "Palestinians" are not a people and never were. They are simply
Arabs who happened to migrate into historic Western Palestine. They
have no right whatsoever to statehood.
35. The Golan Heights are not "Syrian" and never were.
36. Noam Chomsky is an anti-Semite and Norman Finkelstein is a
neo-nazi. People who endorse them are anti-Semites, even if they
happen to be Israeli Jews.
37. Israeli politicians are among the stupidest on earth.
38. Israeli leftists never learn from the failures of their policies
and "ideas". Every failure is simply because their policies were not
applied thoroughly *enough.*
39. The moral and legal responsibility for every single Arab civilian
killed or injured in the Middle East conflict rests squarely upon the
shoulders of the Arab fascists and terrorists.
40. There is no moral or legal reason for Israel to refrain from
attacking terrorists and murderers when they hide among civilians.
41. "Anarchists" and others who protest against Israel's security
wall want the wall removed because they want terrorists to murder Jewish
42. Palestinians are the Sudeten Germans of the Middle East.
43. Israel has no obligation to share its water resources with the
"Palestinians" or anyone else.
44. There are no non-military solutions to the problem of terrorism.
45. One can only make peace with one's enemies. One also only makes
war with one's enemies.
46. There are no significant differences between the agenda of the
PLO and the agenda of the Hamas and Hezbollah.
47. The Middle East conflict is not a marital spat. Going through
the pretense of holding hands and holding talks does not calm tensions and
48. One cannot make peace by pretending that war does not exist.
49. One cannot buy off anti-Semites and Islamofascists with trade
concessions and subsidies.
50. The only way to stop terrorism is to kill terrorists.