Thursday, July 31, 2008
Two Years to the Kayusha War
July 27, 2006, 1:08 a.m.
Under the Katyushas
As the rockets fall on Israel, there are lessons to be learned.
By Steven Plaut
Haifa, Israel . I am writing this in between ducking in and out of a bomb
shelter as Haifa is bathed by the Katyusha rockets and other missiles that
Ehud Barak has allowed to be fired at the city. Why Ehud Barak? Because,
as Israeli prime minister in 2000, he ordered the cowardly unilateral
withdrawal of Israeli troops from the security zone in southern Lebanon,
which led to the positioning of thousands of Hezbollah rockets on Israel.s
It occurs to me that now would be as good a time as any to sum up
everything that has been learned about the Middle East conflict . that is,
everything that the Israeli government and chattering classes have refused
to learn for the past two decades.
1. Nice fences do not stop missiles, rockets, and mortars.
2. Complete removal of Israeli forces and Jewish settlers from an area
does not achieve anything positive, but merely signals Israeli weakness,
inviting escalated terror and aggression from Israel.s enemies.
3. Hezbollah and Hamas cannot be defeated with air strikes. There is no
effective alternative to ground invasion and ongoing control of the
4. Unless the Israeli military controls the ground on the other side of
fences, those fences achieve nothing.
5. Goodwill gestures by Israel tend to increase terror and invite further
6. Goodwill gestures by Israel never produce moderation of Arab goals and
demands, but rather produce the opposite.
7. Terror is not caused by settlements, but rather fueled by the removal
8. Terror is not caused by Israeli military occupation, but rather allowed
to flourish with the removal of Israeli military occupation.
9. It is impossible for there to be two sovereign entities between the
Jordan River and the Mediterranean.
10. No matter how many concessions Israel makes, the world will always
justify Arab terrorism, because there is always one more capitulation that
Israel has failed to make (e.g., giving up the .Shebaa Farm. on the Golan
11. No matter how nice Israel is to Israeli Arabs, no matter how many
affirmative-action programs it implements, it will always be accused of
being an .apartheid regime..
12. Much of the Israeli far Left is essentially an anti-Semitic movement
that seeks Israel.s destruction and automatically endorses the enemies of
Israel in all things.
13. The Israeli Labor party and its Kadima cousin may be more effective at
fighting terror, once they decide to do so, than Likud. The reason is that
if Likud were fighting terror, the Israeli Left would take to the streets
in mass demonstrations against Israeli imperialism and aggression, and the
leftist Israeli media would declare that 400,000 protesters turned out.
14. The Israeli Left will oppose every conceivable act of Israeli
self-defense, other than total capitulation.
15. Jewish far-leftism is a very real enemy of Israel.
16. Some international observers don.t mind seeing Jewish civilians
murdered by terrorists, and will applaud and justify all such murders as
comeuppances for the Jews. being so insensitive.
17. Israeli niceness and flexibility often encourage and embolden
18. Israel-bashing is often driven by anti-Semitism, and many
Israel-bashers are increasingly open about their delight at seeing Jewish
19. Israeli pursuit of the .peace process. has triggered a worldwide storm
20. Terrorists cannot be appeased.
21. Arab terrorists do not morph into statesmen.
22. Looking for Palestinian moderates in politics is a fruitless endeavor.
23. Many Israel-bashers do not care about dead Arab civilians, other than
as a useful bludgeon with which to de-legitimize Israel.
24. Much of the Western Left would celebrate the destruction of Israel.
25. The vast majority of Israeli Arabs want to see Israel destroyed and
the Jews thrown into the sea.
26. There are hundreds of Jewish professors in Israel who serve as an
academic fifth column for terrorism and will do almost anything to
collaborate with the enemies of their country.
27. The Arabs will not accept an independent Israel in any set of borders,
no matter how small. Thus nothing can be achieved by reducing Israel.s
territory, other than signalling weakness and vulnerability.
28. Much of the Western media believes that there are no problems on earth
that could not be greatly ameliorated by destroying Israel.
29. Most of the governments of Europe seem not to believe Jews should be
allowed to defend themselves from aggression.
30. The only country on earth that is expected to respond to the mass
murder of its civilians by turning the other cheek is Israel. The only
country on earth that has spent many years trying to defeat terrorism by
turning the other cheek is Israel.
31. Whenever Israel responds firmly to aggression and terrorism, it will
always be criticized for a .disproportionate. response.
32. Most of those who claim that anti-Zionism is different from
anti-Semitism are anti-Semites.
33. The only people on earth whom the Left believes should be denied the
right to self-determination and self-defense are the Jews.
34. .Palestinians. are not a people and never were. They are simply Arabs
who happened to migrate into historic Western Palestine. They have no
right to statehood.
35. The Golan Heights are not .Syrian. and never were.
36. Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein are anti-Semites, and so are many
of their supporters.
37. Israeli politicians are among the stupidest on earth.
38. Israeli leftists never learn from the failures of their policies and
.ideas.. Every failure is explained away by the fact that their policies
were not applied thoroughly enough.
39. The moral and legal responsibility for every single Arab civilian
death or injury in the Middle East conflict rests squarely upon the
shoulders of the aggressive Arab fascists and terrorists who have provoked
40. There is no moral or legal reason for Israel to refrain from attacking
terrorists and murderers when they hide among civilians.
41. Many of the .anarchists. and others who protest against Israel.s
security wall want the wall removed because they want terrorists to murder
42. Palestinians are the Sudeten Germans of the Middle East.
43. Israel has no obligation to share its water resources with the
.Palestinians. or anyone else.
44. There are no non-military solutions to the problem of terrorism.
45. Talk of .peace. is revealing, because it is only necessary to consider
making peace when you are faced with an enemy. Israel is faced with a host
of committed enemies, and it is they who will not accept a fair peace
46. There are no significant differences between the agenda of the PLO and
the agenda of Hamas and Hezbollah.
47. The Middle East conflict is not a marital spat. Going through the
pretense of holding hands and holding talks does not calm tensions and
48. One cannot make peace by pretending that war does not exist.
49. One cannot buy off anti-Semites and Islamofascists with trade
concessions and subsidies.
50. The only way to stop terrorism is to kill terrorists.
2. What Thomas Jefferson learned from the Muslim book of jihad
THE U.S. VETERAN DISPATCH
Publisher - Ted Sampley
What Thomas Jefferson learned
from the Muslim book of jihad
By Ted Sampley
U.S. Veteran Dispatch
Democrat Keith Ellison is now officially the first Muslim United States congressman. True to his pledge, he placed his hand on the Quran, the Muslim book of jihad and pledged his allegiance to the United States during his ceremonial swearing-in.
Capitol Hill staff said Ellison's swearing-in photo opportunity drew more media than they had ever seen in the history of the U.S. House. Ellison represents the 5th Congressional District of Minnesota.
The Quran Ellison used was no ordinary book. It once belonged to Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States and one of America's founding fathers. Ellison borrowed it from the Rare Book Section of the Library of Congress. It was one of the 6,500 Jefferson books archived in the library.
Ellison, who was born in Detroit and converted to Islam while in college, said he chose to use Jefferson's Quran because it showed that "a visionary like Jefferson" believed that wisdom could be gleaned from many sources.
There is no doubt Ellison was right about Jefferson believing wisdom could be "gleaned" from the Muslim Quran. At the time Jefferson owned the book, he needed to know everything possible about Muslims because he was about to advocate war against the Islamic "Barbary" states of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Tripoli.
Ellison's use of Jefferson's Quran as a prop illuminates a subject once well-known in the history of the United States, but, which today, is mostly forgotten - the Muslim pirate slavers who over many centuries enslaved millions of Africans and tens of thousands of Christian Europeans and Americans in the Islamic "Barbary" states.
Over the course of 10 centuries, Muslim pirates cruised the African and Mediterranean coastline, pillaging villages and seizing slaves.
The taking of slaves in pre-dawn raids on unsuspecting coastal villages had a high casualty rate. It was typical of Muslim raiders to kill off as many of the "non-Muslim" older men and women as possible so the preferred "booty" of only young women and children could be collected.
Young non-Muslim women were targeted because of their value as concubines in Islamic markets. Islamic law provides for the sexual interests of Muslim men by allowing them to take as many as four wives at one time and to have as many concubines as their fortunes allow.
Boys, as young as 9 or 10 years old, were often mutilated to create eunuchs who would bring higher prices in the slave markets of the Middle East. Muslim slave traders created "eunuch stations" along major African slave routes so the necessary surgery could be performed. It was estimated that only a small number of the boys subjected to the mutilation survived after the surgery.
When American colonists rebelled against British rule in 1776, American merchant ships lost Royal Navy protection. With no American Navy for protection, American ships were attacked and their Christian crews enslaved by Muslim pirates operating under the control of the "Dey of Algiers"--an Islamist warlord ruling Algeria.
Because American commerce in the Mediterranean was being destroyed by the pirates, the Continental Congress agreed in 1784 to negotiate treaties with the four Barbary States. Congress appointed a special commission consisting of John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin, to oversee the negotiations.
Lacking the ability to protect its merchant ships in the Mediterranean, the new America government tried to appease the Muslim slavers by agreeing to pay tribute and ransoms in order to retrieve seized American ships and buy the freedom of enslaved sailors.
Adams argued in favor of paying tribute as the cheapest way to get American commerce in the Mediterranean moving again. Jefferson was opposed. He believed there would be no end to the demands for tribute and wanted matters settled "through the medium of war." He proposed a league of trading nations to force an end to Muslim piracy.
In 1786, Jefferson, then the American ambassador to France, and Adams, then the American ambassador to Britain, met in London with Sidi Haji Abdul Rahman Adja, the "Dey of Algiers" ambassador to Britain.
The Americans wanted to negotiate a peace treaty based on Congress' vote to appease.
During the meeting Jefferson and Adams asked the Dey's ambassador why Muslims held so much hostility towards America, a nation with which they had no previous contacts.
In a later meeting with the American Congress, the two future presidents reported that Ambassador Sidi Haji Abdul Rahman Adja had answered that Islam "was founded on the Laws of their Prophet, that it was written in their Quran, that all nations who should not have acknowledged their authority were sinners, that it was their right and duty to make war upon them wherever they could be found, and to make slaves of all they could take as Prisoners, and that every Musselman (Muslim) who should be slain in Battle was sure to go to Paradise."
For the following 15 years, the American government paid the Muslims millions of dollars for the safe passage of American ships or the return of American hostages. The payments in ransom and tribute amounted to 20 percent of United States government annual revenues in 1800.
Not long after Jefferson's inauguration as president in 1801, he dispatched a group of frigates to defend American interests in the Mediterranean, and informed Congress.
Declaring that America was going to spend "millions for defense but not one cent for tribute," Jefferson pressed the issue by deploying American Marines and many of America's best warships to the Muslim Barbary Coast.
The USS Constitution, USS Constellation, USS Philadelphia, USS Chesapeake, USS Argus, USS Syren and USS Intrepid all saw action.
In 1805, American Marines marched across the desert from Egypt into Tripolitania, forcing the surrender of Tripoli and the freeing of all American slaves.
During the Jefferson administration, the Muslim Barbary States, crumbling as a result of intense American naval bombardment and on shore raids by Marines, finally officially agreed to abandon slavery and piracy.
Jefferson's victory over the Muslims lives on today in the Marine Hymn, with the line, "From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli, We fight our country's battles in the air, on land and sea."
It wasn't until 1815 that the problem was fully settled by the total defeat of all the Muslim slave trading pirates.
Jefferson had been right. The "medium of war" was the only way to put and end to the Muslim problem. Mr. Ellison was right about Jefferson. He was a "visionary" wise enough to read and learn about the enemy from their own Muslim book of jihad.