Saturday, September 10, 2011
Facing Unpleasant Facts in the Middle East
The world is now well into the Post-Oslo era, in which the delusions
and denials of reality that were the foundations of the "Oslo peace
process" are being acknowledged for what they were. For those
returning to the planet Earth from Fantasyland in the "Oslo" parallel
universe, it behooves them and us all to bear in mind some of the
unpleasant facts of life about the Middle East.
1. The Arab world has never come to terms with Israel's existence
within ANY set of borders whatsoever and is still seeking the
destruction of Israel and its population.
2. ANY Palestinian state, regardless of who rules it, will produce
escalated violence, terror and warfare in the Middle East, and not
stability nor peaceful relations. It will seek warfare with Israel and
not solutions to the economic and social problems of its citizens.
3. The only reason Arafat and the PLO ever wanted control of the West
Bank and Gaza Strip was to use them as bases for attacks on Israel.
This is the only real use to which they will be put by any future
4. There is no alternative that will stop the bloodshed and war in
the Middle East other than the adoption by Israel of an unambiguous
policy of R&D, that is, of Re-Occupation and Denazification of the
West Bank and Gaza Strip. Every other alternative proposal for
stabilization and pacification is delusional.
5. Denazification of the West Bank and Gaza Strip must be based
partly on the programs of Denazification imposed on Germany and Japan
by the Allies after World War II, but in part must be different. Such
Denazification policies will have to stay in place for decades. There
is no other way in which Israel can prevent the daily massacre of its
civilians by the Palestinian terrorists.
6. The bulk of Palestinians have lived outside Israeli "occupation"
for years, and their "liberation" from Israeli "occupation" only
produced Nazification, terrorism, mass murders, and radicalization.
Their pacification requires re-imposing of martial rule by Israel.
7. The instability of the Middle East is not caused by Israeli
occupation of Palestinian lands but by PLO-Hamas occupation of Israeli
8. There was never in history an Arab Palestinian state.
9. The Palestinians have no legitimate claim to the right to set up
their own state. It is doubtful whether they ever did have such a
right, but even if they did - they forfeited it thanks to decades of
terrorism, savagery, mass murders and barbarism. Like the Sudeten
10. Palestinians are Arabs. The Arabs already rule 22 states. There
is no reason why they should be entitled to a 23rd, and creation of
such a 23rd Arab state in the West Bank and Gaza will escalate Middle
East violence and world terrorism.
11. The Palestinians are not and never were a "nation". They are not
even a tribe. They are a branch of Arabs with only minor secondary
cultural differences that distinguish them from Syrians, Lebanese or
12. The Middle East conflict cannot be resolved through endless
exhibitions of niceness and restraint by Israel. Israeli niceness,
restraint, and goodwill gestures are interpreted by the Arab world as
weakness and as signs that the Jews, like Paul McCartney's Band, are
on the run.
13. The Palestinians are not "mistreated" by Israel, but ARE poorly
treated by the PLO and Hamas.
14. The only Arabs in the Middle East with any semblance of civil
rights are those who live under Israeli rule.
15. Israeli Arabs are the best-treated minority in the Middle East
and are treated far better than are Arabs living in Arab states. If
the intifada "uprising" were in fact a product of oppression and
mistreatment of Arabs by a government, then Israel should be the only
country in the Middle East that does NOT have an intifada.
16. Oslo has radicalized and Nazified most Israeli Arabs, who now
identify with and openly support Arab parties and politicians who call
openly for violence against Jews and the destruction of Israel.
17. There exists no set of concessions by Israel that would result in
the Arab states coming to terms with Israel's existence.
18. There are no Arab democracies and no support for democracy among
significant minorities within the Arab world.
19. Israeli assassination of Palestinian terrorists is in fact a
substitute for retaliation in kind against the Palestinians for
bombings of Israeli children and other civilians. The alternative to
such assassinations is bombings of Palestinian civilians.
20. Israeli settlements are the "mine canaries" of the Arab world.
There is no reason why Jewish civilians should not be free to live in
peace within Arab countries truly seeking peace with Israel, just as
Arabs live at peace within Israel and within the United States. The
attitude of the Arab world in general and of the PLO in particular
towards such "settlements" is indicative of their attitudes towards
Israel and Jews in general. If the Palestinians are NOT seeking peace
with the Jews, and they are not, then the real problem is that Israel
has built too few settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
21. Today it is the purpose of Israeli settlements to prevent
replication of Gaza in the West Bank. To do so, Israel needs to build
22. Israel is the only country in the Middle East that does NOT deal
with Islamist terror through wholesale massacres of the people in
whose midst the terrorists operate.
23. There is an inverse relationship between the material comfort of
Arabs living under Israeli rule and political moderation. The better
off they are in a material sense, the more violent and radical they
are. More generally, Arab radicalism and terror are positively
correlated with comfort and education and wealth. Bin Laden and his
people were filthy rich. There have been no undernourished Palestinian
24. Palestinians endorse terrorism and violence against Jews by
25. Israeli Arabs endorse terror and violence against Jews by large
majorities. They also support al-Qaeda.
26. There are no visible Palestinian public figures who oppose
violence, terror and Islamist fascism.
27. There is not and never has been a Palestinian "peace movement".
28. The PLO is itself very much a manifestation of Islamist fascism
and was founded by Islamist fundamentalists.
29. Peace cannot be achieved through pretending that war does not exist.
30. The Israeli Left is responsible for the bloodshed in Israel. The
Israeli Left rescued the PLO from oblivion in the early 1990s, armed
it, and allowed it to become entrenched in the suburbs of Tel Aviv and
Jerusalem. The Israeli Left is as wacky as is the pro-Taliban campus
Left in the United States.
31. The only peaceful terrorist is a dead terrorist.
32. Israel cannot restore the credibility of its military prowess
through "signaling," but rather only through using that prowess and
putting its military might to actual use.